Sausage and Peppers is an old-time family favorite for my fiance. Growing up his mother made this dish with both Chicken and Pork Sausage. Living in Long Island, NY it’s not unusual to see Sausage and Peppers on a restaurant menu. That’s because it’s hearty and delicious with tons of flavor and texture. Not to mention, it’s a staple in any Italian diet.
I’m not Italian but my Chicken Sausage and Peppers was just as good as the rest and super healthy. I used fresh Spinach and Feta Chicken Sausage from Whole Foods Market and just the basics in terms of seasoning. It turned out better than expected. Served on top of Quinoa and you’ve got a protein packed, flavor extravaganza in your mouth and your belly.
Chicken Sausage and Peppers
- 1 pound Chicken Sausage (any kind you like works well)
- 3 bell peppers (any color, yellow, green, red, orange) sliced
- 1 red onion halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- If using fresh chicken sausage, start by browning in a skillet or on the grill. Cook partially or completely so that slicing is easier.
- Slice sausage links in to bite size pieces.
- Heat Olive Oil in large skillet on medium heat.
- Add sausage and cook until brown on all sides, about 2-5 minutes turning over regularly.
- Add onions to pan, cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Then add seasoning to skillet. Stir well. Add bell peppers, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until peppers are tender.
- Serve hot with Quinoa or another grain.
Copyright 2014 Nutrition by Shoshana
No comments yet