I’ve been on an ice cream kick lately. Who could blame me. Ice cream is amazing! The only problem with ice cream is that it’s not healthy whatsoever. A few weeks ago I decided to embark upon making my own ice cream – protein ice cream! It came out better than I had ever imagined. So far I’ve made Chocolate, Cookies and Cream…and now…Coffee Protein Ice Cream! Seriously, Coffee Protein Ice Cream can’t be easier to make or better tasting. It’s ice cream without the guilt. Who could ask for more. Not this girl!
This stuff is beyond easy to make. I recommend picking up an ice cream maker from Target or Bed Bath and Beyond. I got my Cuisinart at Bed Bath and Beyond and used a 20% off coupon. Had I known, I would have just put one of these things on my wedding registry last year. I still feel like I got a deal using the coupon. And who doesn’t love a deal.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make your own ice cream. All you need is 2 large ziploc baggies, salt, ice and some muscle.
Here are a few things I’ve learned in the few short weeks that I’ve been making healthy protein ice cream:
1. You can use whatever kind of milk you’d like (even non-dairy), however, your ice cream will be creamier if you use something with higher fat content. I have been using 2% milk and it’s been turning out creamy and delicious every time.
2. You don’t need sugar, artificial sweeteners or no sweeteners at all will do just fine.
3. You must froth your milk for a fluffier, more ice cream like consistency. You can use a hand blender or whisk. Or even a large blender if that’s all you have. Froth your milk until it almost doubles in size.
4. You don’t need to use any yogurt in your ice cream, but if you do, it will add a tart-ish flavor.
5. Don’t use protein powder that contains Stevia or you will end up with a funky stevia after-taste.
6. Protein ice cream is ready in under 15 minutes despite what other recipes and your ice cream maker will say.
7. Your ice cream maker needs to be in the freezer for at least 12 hours before you can use it to make ice cream. I just keep mine in the freezer all the time now so I can make ice cream in a pinch!
This may be the first protein ice cream recipe on my blog, but I don’t think it will be the last.
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite kind of ice cream? And what flavor would you like to see made healthy?