As I get older and acquire a lot more avenues of debt (i.e. mortgage, car payments, health insurance, home owner’s insurance, etc. etc. etc.) and the more my friends and family seem to already have everything they could ever want [that is affordable], it’s becoming increasingly more difficult to come up with a unique birthday gift that won’t break the bank and is sure to be a big hit. Then I stumbled upon this awesome tutorial for Easy Caramel Corn Kit and I instantly new I had to make this for someone! I took it one step further by including a 1-month gift certificate to Netflix so that my buddy could make his popcorn, and tune in to a great flick too! Here’s how my DIY Movie Kit Birthday Gift with Easy Caramel Corn Kit turned out:
Start with collecting all of the parts needed for both “kits.” You’ll need:
- 1 bag microwave popcorn (any flavor will suffice, but I went with original)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 large marshmallows
- 2 small baggies
- 1 large baggie or gift bag (I went with the always classic brown paper lunch bag)
- gift tag with instructions
- 4 tablespoons butter (not included in kit)
- Movie tickets, 1 month gift certificate to Netflix or your recipient’s favorite movie on DVD or BlueRay
Prepare the ingredients for the caramel corn kit by measuring portions and placing ingredients in small zippered baggies. Be sure to let all the air out before sealing the bags to help preserve freshness and enable easy assembly in the paper bag. Then print the directions for the caramel corn kit and decorate using your favorite card stock and other decor. I went with a rustic simple look and simply printed on white paper and glued on some Kraft paper cardstock. Then I used fun birthday stamps to decorate the bag and make it more personal. I also printed on my brown paper bag using some vintage fonts, Photoshop and my everyday at-home printer.
Be sure to include the following instructions in your kit:
You can print them on paper, write them on an index card, or include them in a gift card.
Easy Caramel Corn Recipe
Just add 4 tablespoons butter and you’ll have yummy caramel corn in minutes!
- Pop microwave popcorn according to package directions.
- Place in a large bowl and remove the unpopped kernels.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, place brown sugar, marshmallows, and 4 tablespoons butter (not included in kit).
- Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes and stir to mix thoroughly. Microwave for another 1 1/2 minutes. Syrup will be bubbly and HOT.
- Pour over the popped corn and mix well to coat. Best served warm while it’s still gooey. Enjoy!
If you’d like, you can use the instructions card I created using Photoshop. Here’s the downloadable JPEG. Just print and you’re good to go!
Once all of my elements were ready, I stuffed the bag to the brim and sealed it with some fun striped scotch tape!
I also decided to add some Sugar-Free Cinnamon Toasted Almonds to my Movie kit.
My friend Keith, who was the lucky recipient of this awesome Movie Kit with Caramel Corn, absolutely loved it and couldn’t wait to break it open and share!