When it comes to the holidays, the treats are everywhere and it’s hard to say no. This year my goal was to create some low-cal treats that wouldn’t bring on the guilt. That’s where these Low-Cal Peppermint Christmas Cookies came about. They’re light, satisfying and perfect with a cold glass of milk or hot cocoa!
What’s your favorite slimmed down holiday cookie or treat? Share with us in the comments below!
Low-Cal Peppermint Christmas Cookies
These low-cal peppermint cookies are light, satisfying and perfect with a mug of hot cocoa or ice-cold milk!
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed sugar-free peppermint candies
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the sugar, applesauce and shortening until combined in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using the mixer, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Place candies in a large zippered bag. Crush the candies on the countertop into small pieces. Or pulse them 1-2 seconds in a food processor or blender.
- Add the candies to the batter and mix well.
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet, drop teaspoon size dollops of batter. Flatten the cookies with the back of a fork and make a nice x mark. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on wire racks.
Calories 46; Protein 1g; Carbs 6g; Fat 3g; Sat. Fat 2g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 8mg; Fiber 1g; Sugar 21g
Copyright 2014 Nutrition by Shoshana
Note: all original posts from April 2013 through March 2014 were accidentally deleted. This is a repost.
No comments yet