Sometimes you just want a nostalgic treat without the calories. When I was a kid my mother made the most amazing Banana Nut Bread that I’ll never forget. There’s nothing like slicing a piece of fresh Banana Bread straight out of the oven and topping it with creamy Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Nowadays tasty treats like the ones my mom made as a kid are found less than occasionally in my house. Rich and I are both super nutty (you see what I did there, haha) about nutrition and eat the same clean foods every single day.
But after seeing a recipe online for Banana Nut Bread, I was inspired. Why not make a healthy version that Rich and I can eat without feeling guilty. Enter Paleo Banana Nut Protein Bars.
These things were awesome. Of course they weren’t as moist as Mom’s original, but they were just as tasty. We kept them in the fridge for a quick snack. I kept finding Rich
red-handed grabbing a taste with Trader Joe’s Almond Butter. What makes these even better is that they’re grain free (which then makes them Gluten Free) and sugar free!
What’s your favorite thing to top on your banana bread?
Paleo Banana Nut Protein Bars
1 mashed banana
2 egg whites
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup flax meal
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 scoops vanilla whey protein powder of your choice
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp. light coconut milk (I used Trader Joe’s)
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients (banana, eggs, egg whites, coconut milk and vanilla extract) until smooth.
3. Add remaining ingredients to the wet mixture and combine well.
4. Pour batter in to a greased or lined baking pan (I used a 9 x 11 cake pan). Spread batter with spatula making sure it’s distributed evenly in the pan.
5. Bake for ~20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean from the center.
6. Cut in to 6 squares and let cool on rack. Wrap individually for a quick grab-n-go snack. Best stored in the fridge.
Nutrition Information for Paleo Banana Nut Protein Bars via nutritiondata.com
Prep time: 15 minutes – Cook time: 20 minutes – Makes 6 Servings